Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Create Your Own Classy Beach Decor

I've always felt like a beach bum at heart.  I can totally see myself living by the beach, wearing flip flops and tank tops all year long.  Unfortunately I live in Ohio, which is nowhere near any kind of beach, so I have to live vicariously through the décor in my living room and imagine the day I can get a beach house. 

Summer is always a time of organization for me.  A time to sort through all of the piles I made throughout the school year but never had time to put away.  So while I was rummaging through my storage room I came across 2 picture frames that I decided to get crafty with. 

My first step was to spray paint these dark brown frames.  I went to the local hardware store and I chose a color close to Tiffany blue.  It reminds me of the beach and goes with the colors in my living room.  Next I got on Pinterest to decide what to put in those now adorable frames.  Somehow I came across a pin on using an inkjet printer and freezer paper to transfer an image onto fabric.  This gave me an idea.  I went to the craft store and bought some burlap, spray adhesive, and poster board. 

I cut the burlap and poster board to fit inside the frames, then sprayed the adhesive on the poster board so the burlap would stay put.

Next, I chose a quote and image I wanted to transfer onto the burlap and enlarged them in Microsoft Word.  It took me a while to figure out how to make a mirror image of the words, which I needed so that when I transferred the ink onto the burlap they would be facing the correct way.  After a lot of googling and clicking on buttons I finally figured it out.  You can get those instructions HERE.

Then I printed out the words, flipped over the freezer paper so that the ink was facing the burlap, and began rubbing on the back of the freezer paper with a spoon to transfer the ink to the burlap.  I continued doing this until all of the words and images were transferred.  You can get more detailed instructions HERE.

Finally, I stuck the burlap pictures into the frames and hung them on my wall.  They look so cute, and go along with the vintage mirror I painted the same color. Love.




No comments:

Post a Comment